The Powers Lab began 2018 with their annual trip to the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology (SICB) meeting in San Francisco, CA (January 3-7). Traveling to the meeting to present their research data were Don Powers along with undergraduate researchers Isabelle Hoyven Cisnaros and Kaheela Reid. Don presented the lab’s continuing work on heat dissipation by hovering hummingbirds at high environmental temperature. Both students also presented with Isabelle presenting her work on nighttime body temperature management by hummingbirds and Kaheela presenting her work on how hummingbirds might dissipate heat from their bills. Lab collaborators Bret Tobalske (University of Montana), Anusha Shankar (Stony Brook University) and Jeff Yap (Simon Fraser University) were also at the meeting and made presentations. Anusha presented some additional data on hummingbird nighttime body temperature management and Jeff presented our collaborative work in reproductive energetics in zebra finches. In all the lab was involved in five presentations make for a successful meeting!
- Audio long read: These six countries are about to go to the Moon June 27, 2022
- Bacterial envelope built to a peptidoglycan tune June 27, 2022
- How the peanut trade prolonged slavery June 27, 2022
- WHO declines to label monkeypox a global emergency June 25, 2022
- In the Balkans, researchers mobilize to protect a wild river June 24, 2022
- Poliovirus in London sewage sparks alarm June 23, 2022
Powers Lab Links